- "What prevails in the end, I wonder? The desire for blood, or to be of service to man?"
- —Jonathan Reid
Doctor Jonathan Emmet Reid is a surgeon and a former soldier who participated in the First World War. When Reid returns to his home in London, he is attacked and turned into a vampire. During the second wave of the Spanish Flu epidemic, Reid seeks out the one turned him as he balances life and death as both doctor and vampire.
- 1 Official Description
- 2 Biography
- 3 Personality
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
- "Jonathan E. Reid is a talented surgeon and researcher, widely admired by his peers. During the Great War, he enlisted as a military doctor - partly to test his progressive theories on blood transfusion and organ transplantation. As the war draws to a close in the Autumn of 1918, Dr. Reid is sent home. Returning to London and looking forward to being reunited with his family, Reid is attacked and loses consciousness in the street. His last memory is that of a strange figure murmuring a dark poem, making towards his neck. At the beginning of Vampyr, Dr. Reid awakens, cursed with a terrible thirst for human blood. In his quest to find a cure for his vampiric condition, he tries to maintain a rational and scientific method – all while coming to terms with a strange, supernatural world."
- —Official Description
Reid is the brother of Mary Reid, and son of Madame Emelyne Reid. During his youth his father, Aubrey Reid, left the family, but left a letter for his son with their butler and instructed him to give it to him when he turn thirty five. Prior to the events of the First World War, Reid made a name for himself as a doctor. Excelling as surgeon, he held at least three major seminars for fellow physicians before enlisting. In addition to his skill as a suergon, Reid was also a blood specialist, and his knowledge was greatly respected and admired within the community. Reid held fast to the hippocratic oath he made with the intent to heal those in need.
Participation in the First World War
When Reid chose to participate in the First World War, it was party to test newly learned techniques regarding blood transfusions. He enlisted as a military doctor and served the military until the Autumn of 1918.
Events of VAMPYR
Reid returned to London with the intention of employing techniques regarding blood transfusions as means of combating the Spanish Flu. On his way to visit his ill mother, Reid was assaulted by Myrddin Wyltt and blacked out with the last thing he could from it was a dark poem. When he regained consciousness, he realizes he was thrown into a mass grave with no recollection of how he came to be there.
Reid is a kind doctor who values the lives of others.
Reis retains his humanity and never fed on live blood since Mary. Its this strength of will that allows him to ignore his thirst.
Mild Victim (1+)
Reid has accepted he needs to kill rarely.
Many Victims (10+)
Reid has begun losing sight of himself.
Everyone Available (London is Burning Achievement)
Reid has accepted his Vampire nature and feeds without any concern. Even his Maker is disappointed in him.
- Immortality: Reid is ageless and cannot die of human disease. Even being shot though the heart with only knock him out for a day's sleep. If exposed to the sun, Reid could even regenerate from his own ashes upon nightfall.
- Siring: Letting another drink his blood will turn them into vampires. Reid has this choice four times in the game; to sate Sean's hunger as a Skal, to turn Alyosis of the Ascalon Club, to punish Vampire hunter McCollum and to save his ally Dr. Swansea.
- Hypnosis: Reid can compel others to do as he wishes or put them in a trance so he can lead them to an abandoned location to bite them.
- Enhanced Speed: Reid can move in the blink of an eye.
- Enhanced Agility: Reid's awareness and dodging far exceeds humans.
- Enhanced Sense of Smell: Reid can pick up the scent of blood.
- Blood Vision: Reid can change his point of view to see blood being pumped by hearts and see the health of others.
- Connection to Maker: Reid is at times plagued by visions of his Maker, whom he cannot understand due to the old dialect he speaks in.
- Jonathan Reid is voiced by English actor Anthony Howell, who starred in NBC's Dracula, and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.