FANDOM


  • What do you think is the canon ending for the game ? Well , i'd say "sacrifice Chloe", sacrificing one life to save many seems clearly the better choice.. I can't let arcadia bay destroyed.

      Loading editor
    • Lily Ford
      Lily Ford removed this reply because:
      Double post.
      23:03, October 26, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • I let Arcadia Bay get destroyed because the game hints pretty strongly towards your time-traveling being the cause of the calamity. That being the case, I wanted Max to come to terms with the consequences of her own selfishness (yes, not selflessness) and deal with the fact that, for all the time she had been searching for a best case scenario, she had been unable to trust in her own ability to deal with the lemons life threw her (figuratively). More than that, we also know that every time Max uses her abilities, she dies a little inside (hehe); I thought the worst case scenario would be one in which she lets Chloe die to 'correct everything', but then she dies as well due to the strain of her abilities, and finally Arcadia Bay (or worse) gets destroyed because of the aggravated chaos from her time-traveling.

        Loading editor
    • the way you see things is...disturbing to me, sorry

        Loading editor
    • Until DONTNOD confirm otherwise both of them are.

      It was captain Obvious at your service.

        Loading editor
    • Sateleshan87 wrote:
      the way you see things is...disturbing to me, sorry

      To be honest, having her wipe things under the rug by killing Chloe to undo a ton of suffering seems worse...

      "Oh, they're not dead anymore. Chloe's dead but everyone else is fine... so in the end everything's worked out for me and I can just keep fucking with Time and ruining lives because I can talk myself out of taking responsibility for my own actions." - Max from the "canon" ending.

      In the "sacrifice" ending Max has to come to terms with everything she herself has done. Just undoing everything once doesn't mean she will always have the ability to undo things - what if she fucks up and she dies, and the rest of us get stuck with Space-Hitler*?  *may be another source of villainy

      The sacrifice ending makes Max grow as a person. The first step to becoming a superhero...

      Imagine Batman going back in time to stop the murder of his parents... Who's to say Joker and Twoface and Penguin and all the other psycho fucks don't show up with no Batman to oppose them? Who's to say they don't just show up and stand unopposed and destroy Gotham - including the Waynes - and then continue their killing spree into the rest of the world?

      The only true canon ending to a story set in heroism - taking charge and discovering who you are - is the sacrifice ending. In the other one, Max weasels out of responsibility. Like Peter Parker saying "Dammit Uncle Ben it's your fault for getting in that guy I let escape's way. Can I have your car?"

        Loading editor
    • This is untrue, in the sacrafice Chloe ending it's very heavily hinted that not only does she not have her power, but that she was truly in love with (romantically) Chloe and she remembers that whole week. Not to mention that anything she has with her stays with her - like all the other time she revers time, through a photo or not, so she got to keep the journal/diary; for the rest of her life she can look through all the photos and notes and everything of what she did with Chloe and she will always have to live with what she did. In the sacrafice Arcadia ending she doesn't have to come to term with her selfishness, she gets to keep Chloe, she gets to fall in love (as Micheal Koch confirmed was canon)

        Loading editor
    • Sacrifice Chloe is the canon end for me.

      The Ending by saving Chloe is the absolute end.

      Max mesed up with time and space and there is no way she can fix it, so in my eyes the Universe, where Chloe survived, is a dying one.

        Loading editor
    • As developers said there's no canon ending.

      But Sacrifice Arcadia Bay thematically fits well with story. In Sacrifice Chloe timeline, she goes back to the time and 'trying' to fix things again but changes had already made,she already experienced this. So to me, saving Chloe ending is the fitting one.

        Loading editor
    • Sorry for my bad english but i have a very complicated theory for this game that i try to explain it in german to avoid missunderstandings. (i dont trust Google Translate)

      Here my Reason to save Chloe and my explanation for this in german:

      Chloes Rettung (am Beginn des Spieles) war nicht der Auslöser des Sturmes durch die Chaostheorie, sondern höchstwahrscheinlich eine noch unbekannte höhere Macht. Dafür sprechen daß Max die Kräfte erst ab diesen Zeitpunkt bekommen hat, sowie die prophetischen Zeichen (Schnee, Sonnenfinsternis, Wal- und Vogelsterben, Doppelmond) sowie das auftreten der Tiergeister.

      Dazu kommt das die Vision vom Sturm als erstes vorkam und nicht als "Warnung" nach Chloes 1. Rettung.

      Und jetzt zu den Enden:

      Der für mich einzig nachvollziehbare Grund für Chloes Opferung ist daß sie als Opfer von dieser noch unbekannten Macht akzeptiert wird.

      Allerdings gibt es für mich keinen nachvollziehbaren Grund, der mir plausibel erscheint was an Chloe so Besonderes ist, das man ihr Leben gegen den Sturm auslösen kann?

      So rettete ich Chloe weil in meiner Spielinterpretation Max für eine moralische Entscheidung schon zu traumatisiert war und ihr die Zerstörung von A.B. als unvermeindlich erschien, damit war Chloes Leben verschon logischer.

      Sorry that i explain zhis in german, i hope a other germanspeaking fan with better englishskills can translate it for the other users.

        Loading editor
    • @germanfan

      I completely agree with you. Max's not ripping butterfly photo in bay ending was the biggest clue for it.

        Loading editor
    • Germanfan74 wrote:
      Sorry for my bad english but i have a very complicated theory for this game that i try to explain it in german to avoid missunderstandings. (i dont trust Google Translate)

      Here my Reason to save Chloe and my explanation for this in german:

      Chloes Rettung (am Beginn des Spieles) war nicht der Auslöser des Sturmes durch die Chaostheorie, sondern höchstwahrscheinlich eine noch unbekannte höhere Macht. Dafür sprechen daß Max die Kräfte erst ab diesen Zeitpunkt bekommen hat, sowie die prophetischen Zeichen (Schnee, Sonnenfinsternis, Wal- und Vogelsterben, Doppelmond) sowie das auftreten der Tiergeister.

      Dazu kommt das die Vision vom Sturm als erstes vorkam und nicht als "Warnung" nach Chloes 1. Rettung.

      Und jetzt zu den Enden:

      Der für mich einzig nachvollziehbare Grund für Chloes Opferung ist daß sie als Opfer von dieser noch unbekannten Macht akzeptiert wird.

      Allerdings gibt es für mich keinen nachvollziehbaren Grund, der mir plausibel erscheint was an Chloe so Besonderes ist, das man ihr Leben gegen den Sturm auslösen kann?

      So rettete ich Chloe weil in meiner Spielinterpretation Max für eine moralische Entscheidung schon zu traumatisiert war und ihr die Zerstörung von A.B. als unvermeindlich erschien, damit war Chloes Leben verschon logischer.

      Sorry that i explain zhis in german, i hope a other germanspeaking fan with better englishskills can translate it for the other users.

      THIS!! exactly this!!! this my personal headcanon! i agree 100%

        Loading editor
    • If they made a 3rd game and 4th game

      what if one followed the sacrifice chloe route with like a news about a girl at a local highschool being shot

      and the other is a new about a whole town getting wiped out by a freak storm and no confirmed survivors

        Loading editor
    • I think in LiS 2 can you the choose the Ending of LiS 1, maybe how like in Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. As Dialog-Option of course.

      The other Option is a Save/Game Import, but its too many Time between the Games for that.

        Loading editor
    • Developers strictly said NONE OF ENDINGS ARE CANON

      imo, they should make a conclusion where Max saved her gf and town at the same time. because episode 5's ending was so flawed

        Loading editor
    • Hmmmm, the lack of Canon ending makes it difficult to make a sequel game or sorts. Despite that, I'd love to see some other game in other formats.

        Loading editor
    • A lack of Canon Ending make more senses for a Choose of one this endings in a 2. Season.

        Loading editor
    • agreed

        Loading editor
    • I just barely finished the game yesterday, and this is what I have to say about it:

      I personally believe that the canon ending for this game is to Sacrifice Chloe. A couple of you guys have already stated why - Max can come into terms with her selfishness and her many flaws (seeing as she is totally not perfect) and actually grow up. One of the many things that people, namely, adults, have to do in life is sacrifice the things they love for the greater good. Of course, Max isn't necessarily a cliche hero, but if she's smart and logical enough, she will choose to save Arcadia Bay. Honestly, what Max chooses depends on what kind of personality she has (rewatched MatPat's theory a million times). 

      Nonetheless, I believe that she is destined to become sort of a tragic hero, one that's destined to a depressing ending, nonetheless forces her to grow up and come into terms with the sacrifices of life. Max ultimately falls back on her many flaws and re-using her power over and over again, which causes her untimely demise (i.e, having to sacrifice her friend for a whole town). It's fitting to have her sacrifice her best friend (and love of her life) for the greater good because it teaches her a lesson. But of course, many of you can still argue that Max will choose Chloe anyways because she's human. 

      Besides, you see Chloe dying over and over again in the game, with Max having to use her rewind powers constantly just to keep her friend alive. Chloe is clearly destined to die. Of course, in the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending, Chloe is alive and given a second chance of life. But what are the chances that she will survive that too? And this time, Max won't have the power to rewind anymore. She can't save Chloe again after they leave Arcadia Bay.

      So, yeah, Max is forced to mature early at the age of 18. I kinda wished that the developers would make a sequel to this season where Max gets a happy canon ending, but they've already stated that Max and Chloe's story is done and that they are focusing on a new cast. I'm excited to see what they have in-store, yet, a bit disappointed because I've become so attached to Max (watched the ending a total of three times, still crying).

      Anyways, this has gone on long enough, and this is just what I myself think. 

        Loading editor
    • I don't buy Chloe's destined to die bulls*** because in an exact timeline where she died storm was still contuining to hit the town and Max saw these visions even before she used her powers.

      Max actually DESTINED to save her in bathroom, hence why she got these powers in first place. I don't think everything has over/gone in Sacrifice Chloe ending, because she already made changes.

      I think there's something related with Rachel.. and we're about the find out with BtS

        Loading editor
    • Each person's Max is different, because you are putting your personality traits in her. For example, my Max didn't go the Pricefield route, nor the Grahamfield (if it really exists, hehe) because I personally don't like romance, I reported Nathan to the principal because such an incident shouldn't be kept, comforted Victoria because I don't like hurting other people's feelings, took the blame for Chloe because even after so many years you have to show that you still care as much as back then, didn't ODed Chloe in the alternative universe because I'm not even killing insects, how can I kill a person?, did support Madsen in the argument because sometimes we must admit that the adults are right, didn't tell Madsen the truth about Chloe being dead because even Jefferson doesn't deserve to die. 

      Each Max is different because she does what she feels right, and the right thing is different for each person, so it doesn't make much sense for such an argument. Each person did what felt right.

        Loading editor
    • .

        Loading editor
    • Max's not a blank-slate character; she is way more different,defined than those RPG characters in Mass-effect,skyrim and such... 

      She is defined but with your actions you can influence her, at the end of the day though, she describes her own feelings.

      In either way she was falling in love with Chloe, only making this obvious or subtle was up to player. But one can see from journal that, she was about tor realize those feelings even if you didnt get kiss, there was a room for it.

      She surely doesn't want to let Chloe die -especially while she was newly realizing her feelings for Chloe indepenant by your choices (saving her is what she wants) but that responsibility was forcing her to stuck between binary conclusion. Choosing her own want and loved one, or not.

        Loading editor
    • Seems like no one cares abour one thinkg. Even if Max is the one taking the action, Chlo's opinion has to be taken into account. She feels responsible for the dead of many people, she knows that all the mess both her and Max have created and all the lifes they have taken. She is begging Max to safe all those people who also deserve to life (including her mother). If Max chooses to safe Chloe instead, she is denying Chloe the chance to choose and do the right think. I support Chloe's thinking there: "I want to live, but not at the cost of that many innocent lifes".

      If The person you are trying to safe asks you that, I believe that saving her is very selfish. Not only because you decide not to hear her opinion, but because you are forcing that person to live with the guilt of haven't many lifes in her shoulders. That's why I sacrified Chloe. It was an easy decission for me, in fact there was no decissión. By taking the sacrifice Arcadia Bay decission you are hutting Cloe more than you are helping her.

        Loading editor
    • So damn sad ...

        Loading editor
    • The thing is:the psychology of Max depends on our choices.so depends on OUR psychology. Being kind, mean,... One more thing: the terrible choice of Max in the end is not to SAVE our dear Chloé or to SAVE a Town. But to sacrifice one of them.... Different point of view to think.... P.S: i.m going trough the story all over again and in te first episode, there s a climate trouble poster and Max who says she got the power to SAVE a girl and that she couldn’t live with her death.....of course,she doesnt know yet what’s going to happen....

        Loading editor
    • One more thought: I do not believe in a canon ending: my guess is that one choice is making Max an adult. You choose what s for good or you choose to stay a teen where love and friendship are the most important things.... Chloé wants to turn adult. What does Max want ?

        Loading editor
    • To me, sacrificing Chloe is canon, but there is some backstory to that.

      Given that LiS Before the Storm has no hint of magic powers, given the otherwise realism of the story, I don't think Max actually has time-traveling powers.  This whole thing is in her head.

      If you look at Max's interactions with Chloe in Before the Storm, Max was a really shit to Chloe.  Max couldn't help moving away, but he could have been better at communicating with the childhood friend whose father just died.  She is an avoidant personality type.  She tried to not deal with things that make her uncomfortable, even if that hurts others.

      So when she sees the results of her shitty behavior, i.e. coming back to Arcadia Bay, her childhood friend is shot and killed before her eyes, she has to come to terms with just how terrible her strategy of avoidance is.  She regrets all she has done before, wishing now she would have done things differently.  

      She dreams she goes back in time to save her friend, and to rekindle the friendship, even eventually dreaming of going back before then to save William.  The fact that every time she time travels she makes things worse is indicative of her mind pushing back on the idea that she has any power at all.

      So we have a Max wracked with guilt, going through this fantasy coping process to try to get over what she did, and give the friend the attentin she needed years ago.  The storm, is indicative of this struggle, and Arcadia Bay is the symbol for reality, for her mind.

      If she sacrifice's Chloe, she comes to terms with the fact that she cannot change the past, that the consequences for her terrible behavior cannot be undone.  Hopefully she grows as a person to change her avoidant behavior.

      If she sacrifices Arcadia Bay, that is, her mind in reality, the need to escape guilt has so consumed her, her mind is destroyed, and she lives in a dream world for the rest of her life where Chloe is alive, but (to her) everyone else is dead.  In reality, she's basically in a mental institution for the rest of her life. 

        Loading editor
    • Yejny Shepard wrote:
      To me, sacrificing Chloe is canon, but there is some backstory to that.

      Given that LiS Before the Storm has no hint of magic powers, given the otherwise realism of the story, I don't think Max actually has time-traveling powers.  This whole thing is in her head.

      If you look at Max's interactions with Chloe in Before the Storm, Max was a really shit to Chloe.  Max couldn't help moving away, but he could have been better at communicating with the childhood friend whose father just died.  She is an avoidant personality type.  She tried to not deal with things that make her uncomfortable, even if that hurts others.

      So when she sees the results of her shitty behavior, i.e. coming back to Arcadia Bay, her childhood friend is shot and killed before her eyes, she has to come to terms with just how terrible her strategy of avoidance is.  She regrets all she has done before, wishing now she would have done things differently.  

      She dreams she goes back in time to save her friend, and to rekindle the friendship, even eventually dreaming of going back before then to save William.  The fact that every time she time travels she makes things worse is indicative of her mind pushing back on the idea that she has any power at all.

      So we have a Max wracked with guilt, going through this fantasy coping process to try to get over what she did, and give the friend the attentin she needed years ago.  The storm, is indicative of this struggle, and Arcadia Bay is the symbol for reality, for her mind.

      If she sacrifice's Chloe, she comes to terms with the fact that she cannot change the past, that the consequences for her terrible behavior cannot be undone.  Hopefully she grows as a person to change her avoidant behavior.

      If she sacrifices Arcadia Bay, that is, her mind in reality, the need to escape guilt has so consumed her, her mind is destroyed, and she lives in a dream world for the rest of her life where Chloe is alive, but (to her) everyone else is dead.  In reality, she's basically in a mental institution for the rest of her life. 

      This is quite an interesting theory. However, I'd like to say that I don't really like taking LiS BtS into consideration because it technically wasn't made by the same developers. (Take this how you will, I'm not saying that it isn't a real game/whatever, it's just not in my headcanon.) So in my humble opinion, I'd like to take out BtS from what is actually canon (which is funny because LiS in theory is a different depending on what kind of headcanon everyone else has). 

      However, if we do, in fact, this this theory into heart, does that mean that any upcoming LiS seasons, that which also includes Adventures of Captain Spirit (here-on should be abbreviated as ACS for the purposes of this thread), are also just basically people who are mentally unstable? Does that mean that, -SPOILER ALERT- in the ending of ACS, Chris isn't revealed to actually have powers and is just suppressing what happened that day by remembering it as the day he discovers his telepathic powers to be true? I mean, sure, the idea of ACS is that Chris is a child who is abused, possibly daily, by his alcoholic father and he likely uses his superhero persona to try and combat that experience. But the ending of ACS reveals him to be falling from a tree that most likely would cause massive trauma to the head, especially at his age. So.. are all the heroes of LiS then just destined to be people bound to mental institutions?

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.